CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Proposal (Part VI): Timing

You asked for it. Now you've got it. Our engagement story. In installments. Unedited. Uncensored. Filled with typos not doubt.
Disclaimer: Some audiences might find this "cheesy."


Over the last nine months, I have fallen so in love. So in love with Brad. And so in love with the Lord’s incredible timing. I have always prayed for someone who would ease me when I worry, love me when I don’t love myself, and keep up with my energy. Most of all, I prayed for someone who was centered on Christ. I never wanted to get married unless that man and that marriage promised to teach me more about the Lord than ever before. Honestly, there have been so many times when I just didn’t think that was possible. Would there ever be some I respected so much? Would there ever been someone I trusted like that?
One night, last April I think, Brad and I had a long, weird awkward conversation. Since before even meeting Brad, I had been praying to move to Knoxville. We had been dating a few months and I came into town for the weekend. I was overwhelmed with falling in love and thoughts or moving and all the ideas we had about the future. I felt like I was loosing control. I know that the things I said made no sense to him. They made no sense to me! I have “guarded my heart” for so long that I didn’t know how to enjoy being in love. I have so enjoyed being single, making my own way, and being a leader. All of this was great for that season of life. But, now things were changing. And the idea of being vulnerable and in love and trusting someone else so much…well, it basically freaked me out. That night, it came up in a random cry fest. (I know, you are shocked. Me? Cry?)
As I left Brad’s house that night and headed back to my parents, I heard my text messages go off. I knew it was Brad. But I just didn’t know if I could answer. I wanted to be alone. I wanted to think. I didn’t want him to try to convince me or ask me questions. But then, I looked down at my phone. He didn’t try to do any of those things. He just told me that he loved me. He sent me a couple scripture references about trusting the Lord and not worrying if we don’t have it all figured out.
It was the perfect picture of Christ’s love for me. Even when I let so, so many things in the way, he pursued me. He was patient with me. I didn’t have to have it figured out, I just had to let myself love him.
That is when I knew I would marry Brad.

No comments:

Post a Comment