CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Proposal (Part IV): Outtakes


You asked for it. Now you've got it. Our engagement story. In installments. Unedited. Uncensored. Filled with typos not doubt.

Fun little thoughts throughout our engagement weekend that didn’t fit into the story…
· Brad grabbed his smallest Bible. He stuck it in his pocket, and I didn’t see it until he was ready to read to me from Corinthians. Many of us know this as the “Love Chapter.” Well, Brad had grabbed the King James Version. He realized this in the restroom at dinner. It says “charity” instead of “love”. He turned it into a nice little Greek lesson in the mid-proposal.
· During the Christmas parade, Brad and I decided that next year, we want to pass out free hot chocolate at Community South’s downtown branch.
· The Monday before the proposal at the Rockettes (see Day #61), my mom* said something that made me think Brad was talking to my dad* or had already done so. Of course, the fact that I discerned this only increased my confidence that there was no way in the world that Brad would surprise me. Boy, was I ever wrong!
· Brad had made several secret trips to Nashville to see the stone and get the ring. Once he got back to Knoxville, Ashley*, of course, was the first person to see my ring.
· Looking back on dinner...Brad insisted we wait to order our entrees, that we just “enjoy the appetizer.” He also took a couple text messages during dinner. Then, the most uncharacteristic of all behaviors – “Banker Brad” gave the waitress his debit card without even seeing the check. In retrospect, it seems this man was trying to stay on a very particular schedule.
· Friday morning, my brother (also named Brad*) text Brad and said, “Nervous?” They had quite a funny conversation about me.
· Brad told me to be warm, because we where going to be standing outside for the parade. And it was a cold, cold night. So, I wore lots of clothing and long underwear. It was great advice for being on the roof. Later, yep, there I was at Crown & Goose, in my favorite jeans and a cute jacket…with long underwear on underneath. I’ll never forget that!
· Brad said we had a “reservation” and would be going skating in 15 minutes. He said, “Well, they have a lot of groups this time of year.” This was all to cover up a phone call from the taxi driver. It totally worked.
· Here’s to LJ for helping to plan the post-proposal party. She even went all over town to find pink flowers just for me!
· I saw that LJ (my great friend from my first days in Spartanburg who is now at home in Knoxville) was now “friends” with Dori (who I grew up with and have known since she was born at Grace Lutheran) on Facebook. I “liked” this Facebook posting. I typically never notice things like that. But I was so confused by that connection it caught my eye. Now I know why. Thanks to Facebook for all the help connecting people for the post-proposal party.
· My parent’s gift to us? Our first gift as an engaged couple – Christmas stockings!
· On wedding is exactly 7 months for the day I am posting this. July 10, 2010.for the day I am posting this. July 10, 2010.

*Denotes person who knew about the engagement ahead of time. You will notice that it’s a rather large percentage of the population of Knox County. I had no idea.

Next Up: The Ring

No comments:

Post a Comment