CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Proposal (Part II): Up on the rooftop...


You asked for it. Now you've got it. Our engagement story. In installments. Unedited. Uncensored. Filled with typos not doubt.

We went to the Christmas Parade. It was wonderful.
We went to dinner at the newly reopened, historic S&W Grand.
I gushed about the lights of Gay Street and Crouch Park, decked out for the holiday.
We headed over the Market Square for ice skating.
While waiting to skate, Brad told me he had just gotten a key to the building at 4 Market Square. He’s involved with the Knoxville Fellows (a program housed in that building), so again I was didn’t suspected.
As soon as we got on the roof, I saw roses, a bottle of wine, 2 glasses, and all the trimmings. I looked out over Market Square, as Brad opened the bottle. I was so amazed at how pretty everything was. The holiday lights and the shops and the Christmas music from the ice skating. It really was so picturesque that it seemed unreal.
Brad read to me from 1 Corinthians 13. I cried.
Then for a spilt second, he made me think we were about to leave. What? Where we leaving? Was this all to fake me out. Was this prankster going to present several “would be” engagement moments to keep me on my toes. What was happening? I was so, so confused. But only for a second.
“No, let’s stay up here,” he said.
He started to play with my left hand. And then my ring finger. I was looking over the edge of the building when he turned me around and said, “well, I think I am supposed to ask you something.”
As he said this, he got down on one knee. He put a lovely sapphire ring on my finger.
Honestly, I hardly remember what he said or what I said….
I was just so happy.
So surprised.
So in love.
After a few moment of being mesmerized, Brad was leading me downstairs and saying something about another surprise?
We were greeted by a delightful “British” cab driver*, who welcomed us to an old-fashion English taxi cab. I thought we were just driving around to enjoy the moment. I was certainly enjoying the moment. I even asked her if she would drive in our wedding?!
Then, we pulled up to the curb in the Old City. I didn’t even realize what was happening, as we walked into Crown & Goose. The first thing I saw was my mom and some balloons. Such a wonderful crowd was there – my parents*, my brother*, Dori* and Alisa* and Josh*, Casey* and LJ*, David* and Ashley*, Jay* and Rebecca*. Wow! There were flowers. There were gifts.
It was amazing.
Amazing.
Shocking.
Wonderful.
More than I could have ever imagined.
Speachless.
More people stopped by. There was lots of story telling. Fun bonding among our favorite people. I called my YL girls to tell them, “Today I…got engaged.”
Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful.
Everywhere I turned, I was learning about someone else who knew Brad was proposing.*
I’ve never really been one to daydream about my engagement. But I did want to be surprised. I didn’t think that was possible. I also thought it would be wonderful and romantic to be alone. But at the same time, there are so many wonderful people I would love to share the moment with. Truly, Friday night I got it all. It was more than I could have ever asked or imagined.

“This day must be the very best day of my life.”


Next up: The icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment