CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day ???: Fountain City

Tonight will be the 4th night in just over a week that I'll be in Fountain City or North Knoxville. For many of you, that sounds like no big deal. Sure, I've enjoyed Litton's (see Day 14), Creamery Park (see Day 270), and I've always been a fan of the duck pond. But for me, a girl who grew up "almost out to Dixie Lee Junction", North Knoxville is like another city.

Note: If you knew where Dixie Lee Junction was before Season's was established, then you and I are kindred spirits...and/or we were on the same bus route in middle school.

Now, this little Farragut girl is all grown up and made the move into town. Frankly, Bearden is a whole other city from the world where I grew up. Now, I have countless friends in North Knoxville, and yes my grandparents live there too. Plus, as I minister to children at 2nd Pres, we have several families from Shannondale and Fountain City Elementary Schools.

So, it's time to learn and share a bit about my favorite North Knoxville neighborhood, Fountain City.

So, in my search, here's a little History (source) )
By the 1950s, Fountain City was home to over 30,000 residents. Knoxville, seeking to expand its tax base and form a metropolitan government, attempted to annex Fountain City in 1959. A mail poll showed that Fountain Citians opposed the annexation by a 10 to 1 margin, and the community filed a lawsuit to block it. After Knoxville made a number of concessions, including a one-year moratorium on city taxes, the lawsuit was dropped. On February 12, 1962, in a ceremony that included a mock funeral for what was deemed the death of Fountain City, the community's leaders handed over a symbolic sword to Knoxville mayor John Duncan.

And here's a few Views (source)





No comments:

Post a Comment