CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 256: Golf Range Apartments

At the end of a long run, I took a stroll down memory lane today...
The Golf Range Apartment complex is located less than a mile from our new house. A property of the University of Tennessee, it was closed in May and will soon be converted to reccreation fields. This will certainly be a welcome addition to the campus facilities and to Sutherland Avenue.
But it is also a little bitter sweet for me. In 1983, my family moved to Knoxville. We planned to stay 2 years, for my dad to complete graduate school. Well, low and behold, 27 years later, we are still Knoxvillians. Growing up in university housing was an incredible experience, with friends literally from around the world right outside your front door. I loved it! As I strolled through today, everything seemed so small. I remembered the play area where I busted my lip and needed stitches. I saw building K were Valerie lived and building M, home of Bethany. In between these 2 friends, I lived in building L. L1 to be exact. As I walked by, I thought of marvelous trick-or-treating, girl scout meetings with my mom as my troop leader, and ball games on the notorious K hill.
Here's to Golf Range. My prayer is that the new rec fields will hold as many memories for future students, their families, and our neighbors, as these apartments did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment