CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 204: Panera in Turkey Creek

As my time with Rice Bowls comes to a close and as we look forward to moving to the Bearden area, this is one of my final (or perhaps the final) mornings I will sit at Panera in Turkey Creek. Sure, it is a chain. Sure I had many a Panera trip while in SC. But, every Tuesday and Thursday morning, as I needed to get to work before the Provision Office opened, Panera has been there for me with sweet hazelnut coffee, cinnamon crunch bagels, or an egg and cheese sandwich. Delight.

Here are a few of things I have learned sitting here...
* Gossip hurts. Especially church gossip. As I have overheard a groups talking, I have felt their hurt and the hurt they afflict on each other as nit bit bulletins or church staff or even the person right across the table.
* No matter how many times you visit, a chain with 40 tables will never treat you with the same sense of being a regular as a local shop like Broadway Bagels with 15 tables and Mary and Janet's smiling faces of ownership behind the counter. Maybe it's a big town/small town thing. But it's okay. Things just change.
* Sometimes, as I type on the computer, I think how little I have in common with orphanage partners or Rice Bowls staff in other countries. Then, I am reminded that we have so, so much in common - as passion to love the Lord and a heart for others. That perspective on the world is so, so unifying.
* All I have to do is what I am called to do. Not the biggest thing, the most imporatn thing, or even the thing that others want. What is most imporant is the life, people, places, and all the Lord has called me to.
* If you see someone you know, say hello. Especially if it is Leslie and she is picking up 30 dozen bagels and taking them all out to her car like a parade of bread.
Praying big matters.
* If a man with an accent keeps trying to buy your car every time you see him...pick up your laptop and move to the other side of the restaurant.
* Giving out your business card is always a good idea.
* Everyone, everyone, everyone you see is made in the image of God. If I remember that (thank you Bret Allen) is will radically change the way I look at the world, treat people, and relate to the Lord.

So, I am sure I'll be back from time to time. But here's to being a regular at Panera in Turkey Creek! It's been grand!

Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment